Monday, April 11, 2011

Friend or user?

So recently I just had one of my friends ask to borrow something from me. Normally I wouldn't have a problem with it, and lend it almost immediately, but this time is different. Why is it different? Because I haven't seen or heard from her in around eight months. Maybe I'm just being a bad friend, but I just feel like the only time she contacts me anymore are for the following reasons: when she doesn't have anyone else to talk to, or when she wants something. So when she asked me if she could borrow it I was quite frank with her. I told her that I feel that the only time she talks or communicates with me is when she wants something. I can't believe that I was bold like that with her. I have never done that before, so suddenly. It quite amazes me. I hope she knows that I will always be there to support her and always be her friend. But I'm just not going to let her borrow something that I used in my own wedding.

My wise mother Jenny once told me ( me paraphrasing) : "Natalie, you will have all different kinds of friends. You will have friends that you talk to once in a while. You will have  friends that you will party with. You will have friends that are your married friends. You will have friends that you can't trust with a secret. You will have close friends, and not so close friends. All these friends will be many. But there is a friend category that doesn't have as many friends. They are your best friends. Best friends are rare. Best friends are the ones who have stuck to you through it all and know you better than anyone. They are the ones you go to even after years of not talking to each other and you can still pick up a conversation with them like it hadn't been that long. And not everyone can be counted as such a friend. Remember sweetie, to not have so many best friends as friends."

So to my dear friend, who this blog post is about, you will always be my friend. But as far as being my best friend, you are not.

That's my thoughts for the day,
Natalie

1 comment: