Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Titanic....


One hundred years ago on April 15th at 2:20 a.m. Titanic sank into the depths of the ocean and left many broken hearts and spirits. Out of 2,223 people 1,517 people died. It was one of the greatest tragedies recorded. Last Sunday marked the 100th anniversary, and as a Titanic fanatic ( I really am a big one just ask my husband) I wanted to post on my blog about the Titanic to keep the memory of her and her passengers in our hearts. 

I was eight years old when I first saw Titanic the movie with Kate Winslet and Leonardo Dicaprio. I remember all the many tears I shed when the ship started to sink in the movie and even though I couldn't grasp on to everything that was going on because of no life experience, Titanic became one of my greatest loves. After I saw the movie, I got my hands on everything that I could get on Titanic. I checked so many Titanic books out of the library, saw any movies or documentaries of the ship and  looked up any websites about it.
 To this day my fascination and love for the ship still lives and is apart of my daily life. 
About a year and a half ago, my husband, my mother in law, brother in law and me had the amazing opportunity to go to the Titanic Museum in Las Vegas Nevada. There were many artifacts from the ship wreck and it was a almost sacred experience to go through and look at each individual artifact and realize that those items at one point or another belonged to someone who had passed away either from the tragedy, or old age. These artifacts are the only things that we can see from the Titanic and her watery grave. And for me, I shed silent tears as I walked slowly through the exhibit drinking in every moment. 



Also at the exhibit, they had a replica of the grand staircase (which cost a mere more than 1,000,000), replicas of the rooms in first and steerage class, a iceberg, and (wait for it) an actual hull from the shipwreck itself. When we got to the room where the final "big piece" as they call it was, all the tears that I had been holding in throughout the exhibit came out. I not only cried for the deaths of so many people, but I cried for the Titanic itself. Her story has deeply touched my heart in many ways that I am grateful for.
Long live and never forget Titanic and her passengers!

~Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment